What Kinds of Questions Will a Wrongful Death Attorney Ask?
If you’re planning on filing a wrongful death claim and you’ve decided to enlist legal help, you’re on the right track. A resourceful attorney can handle virtually every aspect of the proceedings. This will free you up to focus on more important matters, like taking care of your family in the aftermath of tragedy.
That’s not to say, however, that you can’t support your lawyer’s efforts. While they’ll certainly do all the heavy lifting, you can ensure your case gets off to a strong start by preparing for the initial consultation.
During this meeting, you’ll discuss the circumstances surrounding your loved one’s death, so your attorney can determine how best to proceed. To make it as productive as possible, you should be prepared to answer the following questions:
- What makes you think your loved one’s death might be “wrongful” in the eyes of law?
- Do you have any evidence to support your suspicions that the death could have prevented?
- Did you or anyone in your family witness the wrongdoing that led to the death?
- Did police respond to the fatal accident and, if so, did they file a formal report?
- Did your loved one die immediately, or did they receive medical care for some time in the aftermath of the accident?
- Did you rely on the deceased for financial support or household services?
- Were you or any of your family members expecting to receive an inheritance from the deceased after they retired or sold a growing business?
- Have you spoken to anyone who was involved in the accident?
- Have you had any correspondence with insurance adjusters?
- Does the opposing party have reason to believe you or one of your family members played a role in the fatal accident?
- Are you or any of your relatives active on social media?
- Do you have any documentation associated with the expenses your family has incurred as a direct result of the death?
- How much did the funeral and burial cost?
In addition to writing down the answers to all of the above, you should put together a list of any questions you have for the wrongful death lawyer. Since you’ll inevitably be inundated with information during the meeting, drafting your questions in advance will keep you from forgetting a single one.
You might want to consider asking:
- Have you handled claims similar to mine in the past?
- What do you think is the most likely outcome of my claim?
- What is your fee structure?
- How often will you update me on the status of my case?
- How can I reach you if any issues arise?
Call 561-299-3999 to Speak with a Wrongful Death Lawyer in West Palm Beach
Do you have reason to believe a loved one’s passing could have been prevented had someone acted with reasonable care? To see if your family has grounds for legal action, turn to the compassionate team at Donaldson & Weston.
During your time of need, we’ll use all the resources at our disposal to help you seek justice. Call 561-299-3999 or complete the Contact Form on our website to set up a free, no obligation case review with a wrongful death attorneyin West Palm Beach.