VA Disability Claim Help

How to File VA Disability Claim

If you have access to a computer, you can complete all the necessary steps to file a claim online.  If not, you can go in person to a Regional Office and request the forms specified below or call VA to request that the forms be mailed to you, and then submit the completed forms.

File your claim online:

You can fill out the claim form and then submit a supporting statement and/or documents all at the same time. The VA website will walk you through the process and let you what information is needed.  Once you start the online process you can save and return to complete you claim, and your intent to file and effective date is automatically established from the date you started the online process if the claim is completed within 1 year.

Request claim forms by calling VA at 1-800-827-1000:

Service connection, increased rating

  • VA Form 21-526ez – Application for Disability Compensation
  • VA Form 21-4138 – Statement in Support of Claim
  • VA Form 21-0781 – Statement in Support of Service Connection for PTSD

Total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU)

  • VA Form 21-8940 – Application for Increased Compensation Based on Unemployability
  • VA Form 21-4192 – Request for Employment Information

Survivor benefits

  • VA Form 21P-534EZ – Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, Survivors Pension and Accrued Benefits by a Surviving Spouse or Child

Mail or drop off completed forms:

Drop off at a Regional Office:


Department of Veterans Affairs
Claims Intake Center
PO Box 4444
Janesville, WI 53547-4444


How to Check Status of Claim

1. Visit

2. Click green link or log in at top right and then go to “My VA”

3. Select “Track Claims”

4. Select “View Status” for specific claim


VA Overpayment/Debt Notices

If you received an overpayment notice, you must request a waiver (relief) of the debt or a payment plan before you monthly benefits are withheld to repay to debt.

You can request a waiver of the debt under the following circumstances:

  • Debt is not due to your fault, such as a clerical error.
  • Unable to repay debt or repayment of debt would be unconscionable.

VA will stop collection of debt while considering waiver if the request is submitted within:

  • 30 days for education debts.
  • 90 days for all other debts.

VA will only consider a waiver of debt if the request is received within the following days of the initial debt notification letter:

  • 180 days for education, disability compensation, or pension benefit debt.
  • 1 year for home loan debt.

To submit a debt waiver request:


Complete VA Form 5655:

Draft a personal statement regarding why the debt should be waived, such as it was not your fault, or you cannot afford to repay it.

To: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Debt Management Center
PO Box 11930
Paul, MN 55111