Palm City Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers

Getting into a drunk driving accident is inherently traumatic. Most of these collisions come out of nowhere, which means there is virtually nothing victims can do to protect themselves or their loved ones.

Emotional distress is so common—and destructive—in the wake of drunk driving accidents that affected parties are often entitled to compensation for their pain and suffering. This includes physical pain resulting from any injuries and mental suffering like depression, anxiety, anger, and fear. Factors that can influence the total amount of compensation awarded for pain and suffering damages include:

  • The severity and type of injuries sustained;

  • The intensity of treatment and rehabilitation the claimant must undergo;

  • The total duration of recovery;

  • The impact of any scarring, disfigurement, lasting symptoms, or permanent disabilities on the claimant’s general wellbeing;

  • The impact of the injuries on the claimant’s career prospects; and

  • The impact of the injuries on the claimant’s personal relationships.

If you were hurt in a collision with an impaired motorist, the Palm City drunk driving accident lawyers at Donaldson & Weston will help you calculate a fair settlement amount that includes compensation for all applicable damages. We are dedicated to getting injured parties the results they deserve. Call 772-266-5555 to schedule a free consultation with one of our tenacious injury attorneys.

What Should I Do After Being Injured in a Drunk Driving Accident?

Determining a fair amount of compensation for pain and suffering can be challenging because there is no tangible way to measure emotional distress; however, there are a few formulas that can help you arrive at a reasonable sum.

One of the most popular ways to calculate pain and suffering damages is by applying the multiplier method. This method multiplies the total economic damages, like medical bills and lost wages, by a factor that typically ranges from 1.5 to 5. The more severe the injuries, the higher the multiplier will be.

Another common approach is called the “per diem method.” To apply this method, the plaintiff picks a set dollar amount—usually at least as much as he or she would make completing one shift of work—and multiplies it by the number of days spent recovering.

Regardless of whether you use the multiplier method or the per diem approach, the liable party’s insurance company will not settle for any more than its policyholder’s coverage limits. Therefore, it is important that you explore all potential avenues for recovering compensation including filing a lawsuit against the at-fault motorist. A skilled attorney can assess your situation to determine the most strategic approach to take.

Should I Still Visit a Doctor Even If My Injuries Seem Minor?

Absolutely. Without official documentation linking your injuries to the accident, it will be difficult to prove causation. Also, failing to get a prompt diagnosis could open the door to a dispute since the insurer might argue your injuries would have been less serious if you had sought immediate medical care. Simply put, you should follow all the same steps whether your injury seems serious or minor: get an immediate diagnosis, follow your healthcare provider’s instructions, take all the necessary steps to mitigate your damages, and document your recovery in a personal injury journal. The attorneys at Donaldson & Weston can handle all the other logistics of your case so you can focus on your health.